Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Absurdity of it all....

So, obviously we have know about this upcoming trip for months....but now all of a sudden when it's here I can hardly believe its happening. I am waxing between absolute panic at all that I have to do to get ready and complete fear of all that is ahead with brief interludes of calm, interspersed with desperate cries of help to the LORD.

This week I am focusing on finishing cleaning up from the sale a couple weeks ago, (i.e. putting back together closets, attic, basement, garage, etc...), making a million phone calls - setting up all the fall dentist, dr. appts, etc... that I would normally be scheduling in August, getting a haircut, ordering books and cds for the trip, ordering school materials for the fall,bringing the cat in for annual shots, getting a shot myself, making tons of lists of all that I have to do, emailing massive amts. of people for various reasons, building 2 beds (pictures will eventually follow), ordering plane tickets, finalizing the details of childcare for our younger children while we are gone. And so on and so on.... (of course, my significant other could write a list that was equally as long!)

I have figured out a pretty decent system to keep it all straight. I bought a notebook with 3 sections. Section one has lists of all the stuff (in categories of course) that we will be bringing. Section 2 has one very long 'to do' list. Section 3 has miscellaneous. Every night before bed I fill out an index card of all that I need to do the next day. So, the following morning I rise bright and early and tape the card to my forehead until its done...not really but I do carry it around all day until its done!

Its just plain crazy. Who knew planning a trip for a family of 7 to go in all different directions would be this much work!

Next week will consist of packing, packing, and packing....

The following week (the week before we go) hopefully will just consist of tying up all the loose ends.

Tentative schedule: Leave July 19 for 4 to 6 weeks! YIKES ! That's a lot to pack for !!!

5 comments:

Alice said...

It sounds like you are incredibly organized. I'm gonna be begging you for help when it is my turn.:)

Karen said...

Actually, I am just married to the most organized and efficient person on earth! I think I'm a wannabe organized person.:) I will be happy to help you Alice!

Anonymous said...

Lady of so many talents! Building beds, organizing a family Way to go Karen!! God shines big in you!

Cammie Heflin said...

You better keep a hold of that book, you know there are many others who will want to learn from your ideas!

orphans4me said...

Karen, I am so excited for you. I do sympathize with the various feelings of panic, excitement, and endless 'to do' list to take care of kids staying at home. We honestly did not finish our last 'to do' until we were in the motel the night before flying out-writing out our wills!! I hope you are better than I was at keeping the purpose of your journey in front of your mind.