Thursday, July 31, 2008

Planes, Trains, Automobiles, ? and a business proposition. . .

 

By Lee:   This is for the men - any men out there reading this? 

        Getting around - something that we usually take for granted.  We hop in our car and GO!  Not exactly that easy in Ukraine.  First, we walk, a lot!  Which is good - because that is the best way to see things.

Slide1

      We have used a variety of transportation since we arrived.   We have taken taxis, airplanes, subway and have a seen a whole bunch more.    I am surprised at the tremendous variety of cars - I was expecting to see lots of Soviet era cars - and there are - the Lada being my favorite.  I think that is going to be the first car I get the twins - because ownership of the car and learning to fix it seem to go hand in hand.  90% of the time - if there is a car broken down; it seems like it is an old Lada and the owner is working to fix it.

Slide2

 

        You can't exactly read it - but the license plate in the center of the photo above has the tagline - "In God we Trust".   We are blessed with a great (and moderate) driver - but they do drive on sidewalk, compete with the trolleys and have their own form of traffic patterns here.  I am glad we are relying on someone else for the transportation.   By the way -some of the potholes are HUGE!  Swerving to avoid them is perfectly expected; why there are not more accidents - I will never know - it is a unique form of chaos.

        Other cars:  Subarus, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, lots of small Fords & Chevys, Fiats, Seats, Citroen, Mazda, Nissan, Mitubishi, Toyota (lots of them. . . ) and I even saw a Suburban in Kiev.   There are many black Lexus GX480s - this must be one of the Ukrainian status symbols - big 4 wheel drive - similar to the Toyota Sequoia.   All I know is they must cost a lot of kopeks.  (4 to 5 kopeks = 1 penny).

Slide3
         The boys and I have taken 2 subway rides - which are fun - but a bit challenging to read the signs and keep track of where you are at - we went to the train station one day and the XT3 tractor factory yesterday.    We are 2 for 2 on rides and NOT getting lost.  My simple advice to them when you don’t know where to go - follow the crowd - but don’t go through the turnstile.  Cost to ride the subway - 75 kopecks (about 17 cents).  It is a grand adventure.

         Now for the business proposition.   I had no idea - but apparently you are supposed to ground your car - providing a way for static that is generated when you drive (or maybe if you get hit by lightening) - to dissipate.    In my 4 years of engineering school and 2 years of grad school - I never learned that - but it is common knowledge here (at least if you drive an old car) - see photo. 

straps

    I have arranged with Boris, Vladamir and Ivan to have 3 sea-container loads of these things delivered to Matts house - 60 day terms so we have to move them fast.   I was going to have it delivered to ours - but you have to be home to receive them - and he (hopefully will) agree to store them out on his street.  Anyway - there are 9 million in a container and we have 3 containers.    I am dividing up territories right now and we have plenty of good spots left - everywhere in the country.    To sign up - leave a post on the blog.    We need to educate America on the benefits of anti-stat strips- some cars have one, some two and I have seen as many as three on one vehicle.  I believe they also have agricultural application as well - so if you add in tractors, combines, farm trucks. . . just think of the potential!    Matt (& Laura) - hope you are both OK w/ this - they should be there sometime late next week.

      Just a fun post - we are here because we are being obedient to the calling that both Karen and I have re: these 2 kids.   One more day closer to bringing them home - can't wait!!       Lee

4 comments:

Kevin and Tammy said...

My husband and I are both rolling in our chairs. Thanks for the good laugh for the morning.
Tammy
PS Please don't enroll us in the distribution process.

Anonymous said...

Lee, I think that one full container should go right to Karl. He has so many vehicles! The threshermen's show would be a great place to "educate" the public on the benefits of grounding your vehicle.

suepsales said...

Lee, Your sense of humor hasn't been affected by jet lag or then again, maybe it has :) Sounds like a great adventure roaming the streets and tunnels. enjoy and dittos on leaving us out of the distribution process. we have a bit too much going on.:O Miss you guys and pray for you often.

cassie said...

i call colfax and walcott!!!