Saturday, 8.2.08
Well, after a day away from the orphanage (our driver was busy on Friday), we were back again today. It was such a fun day. I came armed with my Russian phrase book, a notebook, pen, and our photo album! I have realized that when we show our family photo album to the caregivers, and they see we already have a daughter with Down Syndrome, and want to adopt more, it breaks through language barriers. My goal for today was to try to spend time in the girls' groupas - to try to learn their little friends and caregivers names. The twins helped me and we had a great time. We even got to take lots of pictures! We blew bubbles for the children played ring around the rosie, (in English and Russian, with help) and held and loved on as many as we could. The children literally crowded around us - some openly asked for hugs and to be held, so we did! I so wish you could be here with me. Each of the girls' groupa has 8 children. Not all have Down Syndrome, but all or most I believe have some kind of special need. I can't tell what all the needs are though. We have been told that most of the children at this orphanage are special needs.
At our SDA appt we were shown a file for another girl at our orphanage. We knew the Lord was telling us to pick Nastya and not this little girl. I have complete peace about that. Today, I am quite certain though, that I met her. In fact, I held her for a long time in my lap. She seemed so quiet and then every once in a while her somber face would giggle. When I needed to go I put her down in her little chair. I looked away to say thank you to the caregivers. When I looked down at her again, she was crying, tears streaming down her face - she wanted me to keep holding her. So, I held her tight again in my arms and cried along with her. And then I had to leave her.
Lee spent the morning with Nastya and they had a great time together. They played on the playground equipment and explored the orphanage grounds. Lee said she wanted lots of hugs and made up a little game with him...she would walk all the way to one end of the orphanage grounds and then put her arms up for him to carry her back all the way to the beginning and do it all over again. We have also worked a little bit with signs with her - she will imitate more and please.
I spent the morning first in Nastya's groupa outside, playing and talking and taking pictures, as I mentioned earlier. (Lee and Nastya had gone off together) After that I went inside to find Vika and her groupa. Daniel and Andrew joined me and we played and took pictures of her friends as well. I think some of her groupa have been sick so that is why they have been inside the last few visits. I asked each of the girls caregivers which children were Nastya and Vika's best little friends. Nastya's best friend is a dear little, blonde girl. I took a picture of her for Nastya. Vika's best little friend is Samson - kind of bittersweet for me. But, I have taken many pictures of him and actually being with him and Vika and their groupa is good for my soul. I hold him and love on him as much as I can.
I'm sorry I won't be able to post pictures of their groupas on my blog but here are some pics of our girls....
Every visit when we come, Nastya comes running at us with her arms open wide and gives us the biggest hugs!
Vika, on the other hand, still needs convincing, that its safe to come with us. She is always hesitant at first but at the end of every visit, she always wants to stay with us. We will have our work cut out for us, with this stoic, little sweetie.
3 comments:
These pictures of the girls are priceless! It must be very hard to hold Sampson and know you can't bring him home. I am crying here for you and him. I pray that God has a plan for him to be adopted one day soon. Your darling Nastya is just adorable and it's easy to understand why God has planned for her to be your daughter. Her love for you is apparent. She is indeed your Hidden Treasure!!! God Bless Karen,
Amy
Oh goodness, those are adorable photos! I love the one of her running to you!!! I completely agree with amy's comment. :)
I also love the pictures of her running with open arms to you! That must be so amazing for you! I agree with Amy's comment too. : ]
Post a Comment