Sunday, August 17, 2008

Emotions...

(written Saturday PM, August 16)

I'm not sure where to start this post.  Its been an emotional day. 

This morning we had the privilege of meeting Vika's birth mother and father and maternal grandmother and grandfather.  I believe this is a rare occurrence in international adoptions and as Vika's new mother I view it as a precious gift. I had not blogged about the possibility of it happening, because (knowing Ukrainian adoption unpredictability) I wasn't sure it was going to happen until they were standing right there in front of us. 

Truthfully, it is quite a miracle that we have been able to adopt Vika!  Last winter after learning of her on Reeces Rainbow and committing to her for adoption, we soon discovered she was visited by her mother. (which at the time seemed a good thing and I was immediately hopeful we could meet her).   Then, when we learned she was visited regularly by many relatives - grandmothers, aunts, etc...some fears about what this could do to our adoption surfaced.  In Ukrainian orphanages, family visitation can actually complicate adoption.  What we learned today filled in a lot of missing pieces that we now know have been orchestrated by the Lord alone. From the beginning, He meant this girl to be ours.

First off, let me encourage you to never think badly of the mothers who leave their special needs babies at the delivery houses.  Many love their children dearly, but in Ukraine there is no social system or framework to  help these new mothers take care of a baby with special needs.  For anyone who chooses to keep their baby, there is no therapy, no early intervention and no education for their child. There is nothing. For the most part the mother is alone. Furthermore, there is no public future here for a child with special needs.  Someday I hope  it changes but for now they are looked down upon by the majority of society.

In Vika's case, she was left at the delivery house, but not "abandoned"  - her parents gave up their parental rights, recognizing their inability to care for a child with such challenges.  This action they voluntarily took, gave them the option of renewing their parental rights as soon as they began establishing and maintaining contact with her at the orphanage.

Vika is now 5. Sometime after the age of 1 yr, her "Baba" (Grandma) began visiting her. All on her own, without support from the rest of the family, Baba would take a bus out to the orphanage to visit her dear granddaughter.  Soon after, Vika's birth mother and other grandmother began visiting as well.  More family visits followed.  It was obvious to us today that they love her very much and she loves them.  During our visit, Baba held her tightly and so did her Grandpa.

This past spring, when they learned that Vika had a family who wanted to adopt her, her birth parents  researched the options for life in Ukraine for their little girl with Down Syndrome.  We are told they even visited one of the mental institutions. They were appalled and horrified at what lay ahead for her.

So, although they love their little girl deeply, they knew they were unable to take care of her and chose to take actions and sign papers for us that made the process of adopting Vika possible.  They could have easily stopped the entire process - even as late as last week.  But, they didn't.

Meeting them today today is what I have prayed for months and yet it was difficult . The mother cried, the grandmother cried, and I cried.    They willingly shared they were happy and thankful Vika will now have a family that can take care of her and a future and yet I know in their hearts it is an incredibly painful thing to see their little girl go.  What do you even say to a mother that has given up her only daughter to you? I thanked  her for sharing the life of her daughter with us and  told her, that we believe Vika is a gift from the Lord to us.   We will always love her and take care of her.  We are so thankful for Anne to have a sister. And we view her as a great blessing to our family. 

I also spent some time asking some questions about their family.  Vika has some kind of allergy that has not been identified yet but periodically she breaks out in a rash all over her body. They said they were told it was due to red fruits, veggies and some sugars(aka candy).  Don't know about that one. I am anxious to have her see an allergist back in the USA. They also shared that Vika is terrified of cars etc...Oh great!  I can hardly wait to test that one out - if she's afraid of cars, I can't imagine how she'll react to 12+ hours in airplanes interspersed with terrifying mad dashes through incredibly crowded airports! We also took pictures and exchanged some gifts.  We arranged a method of sending them pictures of Vika - this was a great desire on the birth mother's  part and mine as well.  I am thrilled to be able to keep them updated as Vika grows and develops.

After spending an hour and half together we left them to say goodbye to Vika alone, without us.  We didn't see them part, but our facilitator said it was very difficult.  I know they are at peace with their decision but  grief runs deep  - especially in a mother and grandmothers heart. I don't know how you deal with saying goodbye to your little girl for the last time.

Vika -  sitting with her birth mother...

8.16.08 006

Vika and her Grandpa...

grandpa and vika2

Vika and her Baba.

vika and baba

vikas family and us - sharpened

We spent the remainder of our time at the orphanage this morning with Nastya.  As far as Nastyas' parents go; she was left at the delivery house for babies and in due course, parental rights were terminated.   She was never visited by family or friends. We will likely never know anything other than the information contained on her birth certificate - her parents names.    At the right time, we will be prepared to tell Nastya that her parents loved her very much but could not take care of her.  So, they gave her to the orphanage to take care of for us, until we could come and get her!   The Lord has known all along that she was meant to be ours as well! She is definitely our unexpected Ukrainian gift!

After returning to our aparment, Lee and the boys headed out to the Kharkov amusement park for the afternoon.(see previous post) Our facilitator and I stayed home, rested, chatted and had a nice, quiet afternoon.

And then, just  as my morning began with a tumult of emotions, it ended with them as well.  We finally had the opportunity to try out Skype (including webcam) with our friends, the G's and our little Annie.  It was sooooo good to see her pretty, pony-tailed little face and hear her sweet little voice.  Thank you Kelsey for getting it organized!  The twins sang her songs and she sang back to us.  I was fine during our time on line but then as soon as saying goodbye, this mother cried again.  It hit me how much I miss Annie. I miss all of my children -David and Sam too.  I'm homesick. I want to bring my 2 little girls home and be with my 3rd little girl and my family in my yellow house on the corner.  I want to be done here.

Thank you for praying for us.  It feels long.  We are still waiting for the girls new social security codes [3-5 business days - Monday is day4] and our facilitator does not have the info she needs yet for Nastyas passport (but she is hopeful she can get it Monday).  After the codes come, then we apply for passports which can come quickly or not...

I know the Lord knows what He's doing.  But, I wouldn't mind though if He hurried it all up a bit.  :)

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen-
Praying you home as quickly as possible. What an incredible experience for you to be able to meet the birth mother of your sweet new baby girl. God is good!

liesel said...

Oh Karen. What a gift you were given. And Vika will have photos of her birth mother to treasure. I know your heart is aching to be home. I remember so well. What a reunion it will be!

Carson's Mom said...

That is wonderful to meet Vika's family. It is easy for us to forget that they could love their child yet give her up when we sit in America. However, in this case it certainly seems like they wanted the best for her and are willing to put her needs first by allowing her to join your family. I am praying that these next few days fly by for all of you and everything needed will fall into place.

Kayla

amyl4 said...

I am still in tears as I write this. How blessed you are to have met Vika's family. I would have liked to have met Caleb's family or at least have a way to send them photos. Her family will treasure those photos as much as you will sending them. I can't imagine how heart wrenching it would be to give up your child., Meeting you must have given them some needed peace. God Bless you Karen, I have enjoyed following your journey.
Amy

Alice said...

Karen,
Hang in there-you're almost home! Praying for the remaining details and the trip home.

Laura Lu said...

I want you back home too!!!!!! Drove by your house the other day and my car was trying to turn into the driveway...it doesn't know how to drive right past that yellow house. :)

We'll pray hard that everything will come together this week. Remember God is good like that! He got our paperwork through faster than we thought...He is working for you right now too!

Shelly Turpin said...

Karen, my adopted sweetie with DS has exactly the same story. The family loves her but felt they couldn't raise her and gave her to us. She put Joy into my arms and made me promise to take care of her. I understand your heart. What a blessing we have to know these babies are loved. Shelly (RR Mama)

Arizona mom to eight said...

What a tremendous gift, thank the lord you were able to meet Vika's family. I wish we could ahve done the same with Kara's (and Amanda's)

We are praying that you are home soon with the children you left in American, your family complete.

Julie said...

What a wonderful experience you have received in meeting her birthfamily. I'm sure that was an amazing time.

Praying that you will be able to come home soon. I can only imagine how hard it is to be away. That's the one thing I'm not looking forward to!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

What a wonderful gift to get to meet Vika's parents and to be able to continue to update them on her progress as she grows.

We're praying that your process will speed up and that you'll soon be on your way home with your girls.

Valerie said...

Hi Karen,
I am really enjoying following your story as you pick up your girl in the Ukraine. Thanks for sharing this special time with us and know that God has brought your family to my mind often. I am praying for a quick, safe return home.

Valerie said...

Hi Karen,
I am really enjoying following your story as you pick up your girl in the Ukraine. Thanks for sharing this special time with us and know that God has brought your family to my mind often. I am praying for a quick, safe return home.

Anonymous said...

Karen,
You had posted that you wanted to see Jesus in the Ukrain, my dear I think you have many times over!!!
I can't even imagine how you sat there and spoke with Vika's birth family. I know that your gentle spirit and how much Jesus shines through you and your family encouraged them in letting their little angel go. What a precious thing that He arranged this just for these two families.

We will pray that the paperwork will happen quickly for you. Our God can do it!! We will also begin to pray for a peaceful flight for this little one..God is bigger than her fears. And may He bring her peace! We love you!

orphans4me said...

Wow, I have tears running clear down my face.
Joy

suepsales said...

oh, wow. How precious is our God and how cool that he will comfort and reassure Vika's family that they are doing the right thing for her. My heart just melted for all of you looking at the pics and reading your emotions. God will continue to make this happen and bless you for all you are doing.

Look so forward to seeing you ALL.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Touching story. I nearly cried myself. Thank you for sharing your AMAZING journey. Blessings to you all. I'll be praying you home.

Dolores said...

What a precious gift to meet Vika's birth family!! The photos are priceless.
It seems like such a long time that you've been gone but soon the process will be complete and your family will be together again! How wonderful! I have to applaud your family for going through this, and I know your new daughters are so worth it!

Jeri said...

Karen, I know how you feel about losing it when you hang up the phone from talking with your daughter. Our Hannah was five and we'd been gone about 2.5 weeks when she said,"I don't need a baby brother anymore...I need you!" I couldn't talk anymore, just handed the phone to my husband and sobbed. (Two weeks after we got home, she said,"I don't need a brother anymore,you can send him back now."

Don't forget while you're there to try to get copies, originals or take photo/video of the girls' pictures. I believe they have to update them annually so you would maybe be able to get baby pics as well. Just fyi

Congratulations on your newest daughters. jeri

Julie said...

Karen,
What an emotional day you had! What a blessing to get to meet Vika's birth family. Thank you for sharing it with us. I know you are aching to get home. I pray that everything gets wrapped up quickly.
Blessings,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love this post so much! Every time I re-read it, I have tears running down my face (Yes, I have read it and looked at the pics at least 5 times already :)
I picture myself in her parent's shoes, then in your shoes, and how wonderful it will be for both of you when you send back photos of Vika growing and prospering in your home. This is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Being a mother to a daughter who has a birthmother can be a blessing that we dont't always feel worthy of. God is gracious to both. I am so longing for you to return to the yellow house (club). Your story has caused many in this town to reconsider their family priorities. Good job perservering,Daniel and Andrew.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This last post was quite emotional. How wonderful for you to have such a positive experience with the birth family. Great people and great beginnings! The birth mom...that woman (and family) is gaining so much by having met the 4 of you!! It would be so hard to have the child you love and know leave the country, but the Shervheim family is one of few that could ease a birth family's fears and actually bring a loving peacefulness about the mileage between countries and new home for Vika.

God is bringing ministry to so many of us through you and your family.

junglemama said...

What a beautiful story. Karen, thank you for sharing.

Dagmar said...

Thats so awesome that you got the meet her family! And I love the picture of you all together! God is so good!

StarfishMom said...

What a special gift to have had the opportunity to meet the special people who gave you your sweet baby girl! Her birth mom seems so young...what an incredible decision... You are blessed!

adoptedthree said...

Those are amazing pictures!

My son had the rash too and it turned out to be eczema. They also said it was the red/orange foods.