Daniel and Andrew just just figured out that when we are done here, they will have spent half their summer in Ukraine... (probably a bragging right to a 11 yr. old boy)
Sorry, not many pics of the girls to post! We have only been to the orphanage for a few minutes the last couple days. Vika was eating lunch when we came and they wouldn't let us take her and play so we just had a few minutes with Nastya. :)
Actually, most of our last 2 days has been spent inside our faithful drivers van. It is incredibly hot this week - mid 90's at least so of course in the van its even hotter! We are back to the routine of sitting and waiting while our resourceful facilitator continues to push through with our paperwork. So far she has legalized the court decree, obtained new birth certificates, and applied for the change of name on the girls Ukrainian social security code. The next big hurdle after receiving the updated social security code(we are told this can take up to 5 days) is applying for passports(and we are told this can also take 3 to 5 days). Honestly it is so hard to predict the timing of events for the next 2 weeks. One day we think we will be done here in Kharkov soon (something that was supposed to take forever doesn't) and then the next day it seems like we will never be done here (something simple takes forever!) Our facilitator works so hard for us though. She is just amazing. Thank you for continuing to pray for her and all that has yet to be done. We have been here now for almost 4 weeks. We are thankful for our time here but we are definitely longing to be home!!!
Thank you for praying specifically for these things:
1. girls new social security codes will come back quickly
2. Our facilitator will find the info (the birth mothers citizenship)she needs for Nastya's passport
3. That when the passports are ordered they will come quickly(in some regions this happens automatically, in ours it can be slower)
.
Our trips to the orphanage are a bit sporadic right now. I think legally we could pick up the girls now but actually we will probably wait until the day before we leave for Kiev - hopefully by next week sometime! If we had them with us right now it would be sooooo difficult. Sitting with them in a nearly 100 deg van for hours on end just seems miserable. So, its actually better for them to stay there for just a few more days - where their routine stays the same. Our facilitator advises her families to wait until the bulk of the paperwork chase is done before picking up their children and we are fine with that. For now we will visit when we can and soon they will be ours!
And now for all you culinary experts...Ukrainian food is delicious! We have eaten out a few times lately and have pics to prove it!
Below is Vereniki...(kind of like ravioli, in this case they were filled with berries so it was our dessert but more often they are filled with meat, potatoes, or cheese) It was fantastic!
Andrew enjoying vereniki!
One of our usual outings with the twins in the evening is a walk down to the play park and then ice cream! Sam, George is eating some ice cream for you!
12 comments:
Oooo...those "dumplings" are totally making me hungry!!!!
we'll keep on praying all of you home....
We'll have to have a vreneki party when you get home - I love to make them but my family does not agree. The paperwork is going to be just as miraculous as the court date. I am praying for all of you.
I've been following your journey through your blog! What a wonderful adventure! It's been amazing watching everything unfold and I'll pray God will continue to work his hand on your new family!
maybe we can have the vreneki party at church. lee, your culinary expertise will come in handy!! We can have a "throwdown" (food channel term) w/all the new foods you've been introduced to.
seriously, my prayers are with you often. your facilitator is quite the woman. sounds like she is working hard and fast for you. see you all soon :)
Glad to hear things are moving along and I will continue to pray for your visas......
That food definitely looks delicious!!
Amy
Karen and all, God is so good. I sure will be anxious to someday meet those new little girls once you have them home. You know I have always been your biggest fan, and have been praying for you throughout this process! Love you all.
half the summer abroad I guess that would be a good thing for a kid. I loved today's picture, she looks so relaxed.
We will keep praying for you and your facilitator as you walk through the paper trail.
And may I suggest a few games for the van...a tournament of rock paper scissors, or thumb wars. Or a challenging game of hangman and if your really bored you could always play the staring game...always gives me the giggles!
I thought of another fun one. A few things required...dice, pencil and paper. Write a story together but you can only add the number of words that you roll. Then it is the next persons turn. Fun story at the end and everyone is involved. K I'm done...for now :o)
That food really does look good! Between Heather and yourselves, maybe we'll get to taste them someday!
What a fantastic journey - we all need to take lessons from your lessons on patience. You will even miss that country when you get home.
Hug the girls for us. Andrew & Daniel how fortunate you are to learn and see all these things at just the age of eleven! You will never forget it,I'm sure.
Ray & Marge
Annie saw the picture of you guys eating ice cream and said, "Hi Dano, Hi Mommy, Hi Daddy, Hi Andrew, Hi Monkey." I asked if she had anything else to say to you guys and she said, "Praise Jesus!" Food sure looks good. Annie had ice cream and a sucker for supper. Doesn't get much better than that.
Karen, you're almost there, my friend. I know the unpredictability is really tough--and I totally agree that spending days in the van with "new" children would just be more fun than I would ever want to have :) One day soon the process will be complete and you will be amazed at how God worked it out.
Joy, RR
Oh I can't wait for you to bring those cute little princesses home!!!!! BTW we will be in Kiev Tuesday and our appointment with the SDA is the 20th! If by chance you are there at the same time, we should meet up!
Take care and God Bless you and your family!
Mandy
hisfirstwife@yahoo.com
Post a Comment