...as soon as I get home and the first thing I am going to buy is about 15 tension gates.
I believe every doorway in our house is going to have a gate. When I declared that to Lee and the boys today, they commented that we will be the most limber family in town.
And while I'm shopping in the children's chaos control department, I think I'll pick up about 5 dozen cupboard door lock latches, a few eye hooks, some door knob covers and several outlet covers.
Hmmm....have I mentioned what a loooooooong day this had been in this tiny apartment with 2 very dear but very crabby girls? Not much stuff here to get into - just a few suitcases of clothes, card games, a few books, some diapers, some baggies, 3 remote controls (which are useless as we've unplugged anything resembling a piece of electronic equipment except the computer) - so not much stuff and the place is an absolute disaster! I can't even imagine what these little tornadoes (who are experiencing freedom for the first time in their lives) are going to do in conjunction with my other 2 little tornadoes (David and Annie) when they all get together back home again! Hence...the gateing every door in sight plan of operation.
We have taken turns going out today for sanity runs. (since the girls really dont want to be out walking we tag teamed watching them) Earlier in the afternoon Lee took the boys for some last minute groceries. (water of course, eggs for breakfast, a loaf of yummy Ukrainian bread, frozen pizza for supper, and bananas and noodles for the girls.) I took the boys out after supper tonight. We walked up a hill to a huge famous monument in Kiev - some big statues and a ginormous arch. From that vantage point you can look over almost the entire city of Kiev. We talked a bit, reminisced about our time here - just the twins and I. It was cool. I told them sometimes I can't believe that we are actually here in Ukraine, doing what we are doing. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be standing on a high hill overlooking the city of Kiev, just about to travel home with 2 newly adopted girls with Down syndrome, I wouldn't have believed it in a million years.
Hmmm...life with Jesus is amazing - sometimes incredibly difficult - but always amazing. I wonder where we'll be standing a year from now and what we'll be looking at?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
May I suggest shopping at Wal-mart online and purchasing several of these really great gates that we found there... and having them shipped (no shipping charge) "site-to-store" ? See the gates on my blog, the newest video. They're clear gates, "THE FIRST YEARS, ALL CLEAR PLASTIC SWING GATE" $39.83. Best I've ever used.
I'm glad you have kept your sense of humor through it all. You are indeed blessed with these two little girls! God IS amazing! I love the comment about being the most limber family around!!!:)
Amy
Hey...I can do that for you. Remember when you get here it will be 4am-ish your time. do you really want to hit wallyworld in that frame of mind!?!? besides, you guys know how I like spending money for you. just give me your credit card numbers...i promise not to add anything extra to the cart. ok...i might add some dark chocolate...cuz we all know you are going to need some to get you through the jet-lag. ;) and maybe some calgon...so you can have "calgon take you away!". i might get you some new red lipstick too...because well, just because that'll be HOT! and you can better handle the day with some red lipstick on. maybe i'll get you a new roll on contact paper...just because i know you like the stuff. and of course, i will get you a smaller size pants, because i'm sure you have lost lots of weight being in a forgein land. how are you doing on socks...i know how you love socks. i might get some nice bright white ones. ;) ok...what am i going to wallyworld for in the first place??? oh yeah...gates...lots of gates. let me know how many you want. i should probably make a list now.
Laura, actually, for now you can buy me two tension gates - one for the front door and one for the twins room.
And your'e right shopping walmart at 4am in the morning my time might not be so smart.
Dolores - I am going to have to check those out too - I anticipate many gates in my house!
And you know what else I want when I get back to the states? A really big, yummy grilled (farmers wife' husbands') steak. I am ready for a break from pork - Ukrainians seem to love it and they manage to sneak it into almost anything resembling a meat product.
you know the olympics were just completed. start training now for the hurdles in 4 years. you guys will be so good at those after your "gate" experiences.
I don't understand how you could get sick of pork. You know me, no RED meat!!! ugh...
i don't know about giving Laura your cc number. look what she did with your other "valuables". ha ha
can't wait :)
I had the same sense of wonder with each of our two adoptions, God is good.
We are forever closing doors here, thankfully our two 3 year olds can;t open them yet, I feel your pain!
Kris RR
Praying for a safe and calm trip home, Karen. We highly recommend gates. lol
Love,
Lisa
Praying for a safe trip home! You have such a beautiful family :)
Mandy
Who is Laura? She's hilarious! LOL
Post a Comment