Friday, August 15, 2008

A lotta' Ladas...

Subtitled -

A post by Lee with a tribute to the most common car in Ukraine; attempting to define its many styles, moods, temperaments and capture the true essence of this unique little vehicle.

Second Subtitle -

Our time is approaching four weeks.  The end is in sight - sometime within the next two weeks;  and while our time here has been great - parts of it also are getting long.  To help pass the time the boys and I made it our goal to photograph as many colors, shapes and sizes of the Lada as we could this week.  We found: yellow, orange, tan, purple, khaki, white, gray, blue, green, navy (never black) and red.

Third subtitle -

Why not import these little wonders to America?   I searched on Yahoo - and there appear to be 3 answers.  If anyone wants to do more exhaustive research - we would love to hear your findings.

  • unsure if these cars would pass US emissions.
  • apparently there were some in Canada - but they rusted quickly
  • and my favorite - maybe there aren't a 'lada' people that would want them.

Fourth subtitle -

In case you are interested.  

  • A Lada 21073 (sedan) can be purchased for 34350 rph or about $7,400 USD.
  • A Lada  21043 (station wagon) can be purchased for 39485 rph or $8,500 USD.
  • The new Ladas and the old Ladas look about the same.

 

One last car topic before the photos.  I mentioned I saw a Suburban in Kiev; today I saw a Escalade in our Kharkov neighborhood - how someone can maneuver that around the streets, traffic and parking is beyond me.

Enjoy that Lada!

 

 Slide1

Slide2

Slide4

Slide3

Slide5

Slide6

 

Slide7

Slide8

Slide9

Slide10

Slide11

Slide12

Slide13

Slide14

Slide15

Slide16

Slide17

Slide18

Slide19

Slide20

Slide21

Slide1

4 comments:

amyl4 said...

I remember those cars!!:)
I saw a Hummer when I was in Moscow!
Amy

Carson's Mom said...

Too funny- I can't say I would rush out to buy one.

Kayla

Laura Lu said...

Matt needs him one of those. Don't you think they would fit *monopoly man*?!?!

Anonymous said...

I had a friend who drove one and it was truly rusty, but we had good times in that (navy)Lada.:)