...to our girls are getting better and harder...
Nastya and Vika are becoming more and more comfortable with us. The weather has been so nice - we have spent every day this last week outside with them.
When we first come to meet them, Nastya will always run to hug me but then she is off to play with Lee on the playset or just run and explore. She is definitely a Daddy's girl. In fact at times, she will push me away. I am not too worried about that though, because I know once we are home and Lee is back at work, we will have plenty of bonding time together. She is actually too big for me to carry for long, but Lee can do it fine. She basically wants to run or climb the entire time! If you see any pics outside with one of us beside her - it means she has stopped long enough for a picture - that is a near miracle! Although, on a rare occasion she will just go and sit inside the orphanage doorway - always on the same couch, and look at a few books. Not for long though, and then she is off again!
For the most part, I have been accompanying Vika. During the last 3 visits we have spent almost the entire time with her on a swing and me pushing. It is good - she is relaxed. I sit in front of her on the ground. I think she is learning to trust me a little bit. I and sometimes the twins will sing her little songs and a couple times she even sang a little Russian song back to me. She will now let me carry her at times as well, which I like because then she is physically close to me. She is not comfortable with Lee at all yet and is cautious with the boys as well. She will often do her spitting or fist shaking at them. But I have noticed lately when I tell her "nyet (no) spitting" she smiles and laughs so at least I know now it is sometimes just a game and not always done out of fear or anger. Either way, she will have to unlearn that little endearing habit. I am no expert when it comes to attachment but I am sensing her attachment will be to me first and then with time, as she feels comfortable and safe with Lee and the boys, she can attach to them as well. She is really a very timid little girl, until she is comfortable in her surroundings and then she is Miss Bossy. Hmmmmmm....sounds like another little girl in my household I love!
So, our visits have settled into a pattern of sorts. I take Vika and Lee takes Nastya. The twins go back and forth between us and sometimes we are all together for short periods of time. I am wondering though, readers, if you have any thoughts or insight into all of this? Is this an ok way to be doing it? Being outside and playing is wonderful but it is very hard to keep them together and we almost always have to split up. Once we have the girls and are back at our apartment for a few days then we can work more on being together. And obviously, once we are home, we will as well!
Now, the harder part of our visits...is saying goodbye! As Lee mentioned in an earlier post, this is especially painful for Nastya. When we tell her "Mama, Papa - paka, paka,"(bye, bye) she fights us all the way back to her room and groupa. Then she starts sobbing, buries her head in her hands and basically just shuts down. Some of the caregivers are sympathetic and try to comfort her and some not so much. The time we leave is always her lunch time - at times she will refuse to eat and I know she retreats into her own little world and then sucks her thumb. For us, this is so hard to see. I know that when we come to get her, there will be no looking back for her! Even now, she constantly wants to go out of the orphanage gate.
When saying goodbye to Vika, she is not quite so emotional but I can see it is becoming harder for her too. Although she can often be distracted with the orphanage doll stroller or since it usually lunch time she can be convinced to sit down for lunch as she loves to eat! I have observed her often with her caregivers and I believe she has close relationships with several of them. I think it will be hard for her to say goodbye to them and vice-versa. Although, I know they are very happy to see her and Nastya be adopted and have a family!
(Hey, do me a favor, leave me a comment if you can or can't view the videos. It is the first time we've published a video on our blog. Lee can view them on his computer. I can't. I wonder if the rest of you can?)
21 comments:
Yes I can view them!!! Over and over I watched them! They are the sweetest things. Even though it is hard to see that the good-byes are hard on her I think it is a good sign. I am no expert at all on bonding but it sounds like you have stolen her heart as much as she has yours...and ours! I pray that it will not be much longer until you are all together in your little yellow house. love you guys!!
Tonya
The videos are precious! The girls are beautiful!
It is GOOD for them to be upset, that shows signs of attachment. Heartbreaking, yes, but YOU Know that it will soon be over and they never have to say goodbye to you again :) Hang in there, sister.....
How precious they are! I love the videos!:):)
Amy
I saw the videos! They are great!
Love the videos! I especially love that "nyet" at the end of Nastya's video. Looks like you've definantly got some girls with spunk! And oh...those Ukrainian bows!!!
Forgot to add.....it's a GOOD thing they are upset when you leave. It means they have made a connection...which is the first sign of bonding! Hang int here. The day you walk out of that orphanage with them will be a day you never forget...and worth all of the tough good byes that you're going through right now.
Awww...I think I gonna cry!!! I love them. Seeing the videos is so wonderful! Boys, be sure to make some more...you guys are great at it. The girls all huddled around the computer so we could watch them.
I know how hard it is to say goodbye. I am glad that they are showing you emotion during this time. Praise the Lord! The day is coming soon that you won't have to say goodbye to them...Oh Jesus, may it be soon!
Oh they are ADORABLE and seem so smart!
What sweet little girls! I love the video footage! Praise the Lord that they are already attaching!
As far as being separate outside, I say do whatever works best for both of them for right now and you have the rest of your lives to bond together as a family and make memories together!!!
Congratulations again, you have such an inspirational story!
The videos are wonderful! It's so fun to see how much the girls already love you guys! I especially loved Nastya's "nyet!"
Awwww. Love the "nyet" at the end!
WOW! More drama every day! The videos make it so very real. They are beautiful girls. Lord Jesus make their time ther short & fulfulling. More videos would be wonderful - we've watched them over & over.
Ray & Marge
Watched the videos with mom.
They are precious. Love, Nana,
Karla and Klarice
Karen and Lee...you two are such a blessing to all of us that read your blog. Karen, have faith your doing Awesome with the girls and they will richly bless your family with the love that your giving them. Again, love the big red bow..she has spunk to keep it in and to keep wearing it.
God bless,
Elizabeth T.
Definitely yes, I can see the videos. Karen, it is good to see the progress and also to hear you have a court date so soon. PTL! It must be tough to see your little ones having a hard time saying good-bye and yet it is a good sign, too. I'm praying for you. Joy
I LOVE THE VIDEOS!!!!!!! oh it is so wonderful to see them in "real life" and to see their interactions with you guys - love it:)!
Oh my goodness, happy tear in my eyes sprung as I watched your videos, aren't they both the most delightful sweet girls, and so smart! I am so excited to hear more and more about your girls. So happy for you.
I concur with the others, them being upset when you leave them is a very good sign!
Will they tell you anything about Samson? Like why he isn't available for adoption? Or did I miss this, or forget why?
We loved the videos. If I could get them I know anyone can.
Keep them coming!!!!!!
Love hearing about your adventures with each of the girls as you all get to know one another.
the Rock's wife Rock too
Hi guys- Kristin and Laura's friend Susan here- Been there before, so want to encourage you to allow each girl to bond to one of you. This will give them the best security for leaving and going home. Later they will transfer the attachment. It may actually swap a few times before they are equally attached to both of you. I love Ukraine and treasure getting to see your adoption. Ours was in 2000, and so much has changed. Even just being able to blog makes it so much better! Blessings, Susan in GF, ND
The girls are adorable. I can't wait to meet them. Well, if you can get through all this paperwork you will think mine is a breeze. I like the updates on their legal status. It sounds like it's all taken care of prior to coming home. Your all in my thoughts and prayers. See you soon.
Darlene - SEHSC
Post a Comment