(By the way Laura and Matt, we can't thank you enough for constantly looking out for our financial interests. What a relief to know we have such good friends! See my comment on the previous post! :):):) You guys are too funny!!!)
We have had a relaxing weekend. We visited the girls once - on Saturday (see pictures to follow) and spent the rest of the time revisiting some of our favorite places here in Kharkov. (the market, playground, ice cream stands, amusement park, pizza place) We all agreed it will be a very loooooong time before our lives are that quiet and calm!
Ukraine's Independence Day celebrations turned out to be quite enjoyable and all centered around the city's largest park and main square. We walked up there several times - took in a small parade, part of a concert and enjoyed cotton candy and lots of ice cream! Most of the fun was just people watching - I'm sure there were tens of thousands of people just out and about walking and enjoying the music and festivities.
Saturdays' visit to the girls entailed a trip to their sidewalk beauty salon!...
Combing hair with sticks!
Like the extra body in my hair?
The weather has continued to be sooooo hot! (90 - 95 at least) When it is this hot, the children at the orphanage only wear underwear and shoes. (except Vika's groupa - they always have shirts. Go figure. And yes, Amy, it is Vika's caregivers that also love the big bows!)
Nastya and Mama...(I actually got her to stop long enough for a quick hug!)![]()
We are now starting our 6th and hopefully final week here in Ukraine! Meredith and Lin, I have a new appreciation for all the time you spent here last winter! Meredith, you made a comment a few posts back about us needing to stay here longer because the Lord had more people for us to impact for Him. I have thought of that often. I love your perspectives on life Meredith!
When we were at the passport office last week trying to get the girls passports submitted we had to wait in a large waiting room for at least 45 minutes. There were many people in there - watching us and our 2 little girls as we chased them all around the room again and again. Most watched but pretended not too. But, one lady in particular tried to talk to me - I tried to tell her in my inept Russian, that we were American and our girls were Ukrainian - and that we were adopting them. I think she got it - her eyes and her face showed such love and joy toward us I couldn't believe it. And we have also met a young Ukrainian couple who are adopting a darling baby girl from our orphanage as well! (Yeah! There are a few Ukrainians who will adopt special needs children!) We have seen them during several of our visits to the girls. Finally, this last time we figured out through their broken English and my Russian phrase book that they love Jesus and so do we!!! That's so cool God!
Anyway, we'll see how this week goes! Please keep praying the girls' passports come on Tuesday. If they do, we will immediately pick up the girls and head back to Kiev. (by plane or train)
I'm not sure what kind of internet we'll have the rest of the week. If we have internet in our apartment in Kiev it will be easy for me to update the blog. If not, then I will rely on emails to Laura and she will update for me. (that could be more interesting than I first planned on!) I think we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
14 comments:
I love the girls with their combs! So cute. I know you are so anxious to get home! I'm anxious with you! You are so close now....
Karen, As beth would say, you have "big hair"! I love it! It is so fun to get the pictures and your descriptions of everything! Love to all and lots of prayer as you prepare to leave Kharkov with the little ones!! Love to all.
You will always have the weeks you spent there to cherish. We were there for 6 weeks, there are some rough times, you are lucky you still ahve your husband and children with you. I spent 3 weeks alone, it was very strange for a mother of then 7.
Praying for the passports to come! And I promise to be good from here on out! Seriously, I do!
Your girls are precious!
You look so good Karen. Those Vreneki must agree with you. Tell the boys it is the first day of school here and Twyla has had enough of them goofing off. Praying that the girls will travel well, and that the journey home will be filled with divine appointments.
6 weeks! Ouch. but your family is beautiful and it is all so worth it.
can't wait. love the hair. i know you are always looking for a new "do". :) I'll try to keep the "problem" child in check. She gets so out of hand. The yellow siding is still on the house. I drove by to make sure. Love you guys, and prayers for a speedy departure.
Love the hair!!! Definitely....... fluffier. : ] Nice look. I really hope you guys can come home with the girls really soon!! I've been praying like crazy. You're SO close!!! I love you guys!!
Those girls are so cute I just want to kiss them. I hope you don't think that's wierd, since I"ve never even met you before. I feel like I know you. Maybe we could meet sometime. Anyway, back to the girls. They are precious, God brings you to mind almost every day and I pray for you. I pray God gives you pateince and strength and for you to be able to come home soon! Like this week!
I LOVE all of your pictures!!! I'm praying that things will start moving quick for you so you can get those little girls home!!:)
Amy
What great imaginations! Praying for the passports and a quick and uneventful trip HOME! God Bless!
We think of you all often. Praying that the passports come thru tomorrow and you have safe travels. Your two newest daughters are BEAUTIFUL!!!
Lee, where's the goatee? Did it get shaven off at the sidewalk beauty salon?
Post a Comment